On 9 October 2020 the Emergency One Group launched the E1 EV0: the world’s first all-electric, zero-emission fire and rescue service (FRS) pumping appliance.
Designed and manufactured at the company’s state-of-the-art manufacturing campus in Cumnock, Scotland, the EV0 (Electric Vehicle, Zero Emission) is both a vision of the future for UK and International firefighting, and an expression of all that is possible with current technologies and E1’s best-in-class British engineering.
Who is the Emergency One Group?
The Emergency One Group includes Emergency One (UK) Ltd and Clan Tools & Plant Ltd, and is based in Cumnock, Scotland. We are the UK’s leading manufacturer and supplier of specialist fire and rescue appliances and operational equipment, servicing all of the UK’s FRS, along with many industrial, aviation and international clients.
The Group employs over 240 people, located either at our three large custom-designed production facilities on our 10-acre campus in Scotland, or at our various satellite locations throughout England. We are also proud of our fast-growing dealership/agency network worldwide, who supply and service our appliances and equipment for their local customers, all of whom demand the highest in product quality, reliability and innovation.
Why did we design the EV0 and what was the remit?
E1 has long been committed to positively contributing to a low-carbon economy. We recognise that our FRS customers, whether in the UK or worldwide, need to reduce their appliance fleet emissions and carbon footprint. With this in mind, our engineers were tasked with designing a low-emission fire appliance – but with some strict criteria imposed.
We did not want to produce a hybrid vehicle, nor a concept truck, or one with limited range and operational performance, but rather we aimed to produce a next-generation solution that builds on the current features of today’s diesel-fuelled fire appliances, whilst also including many new and innovative features, designed to improve firefighter (and public) safety. In other words, a low-emission fire and rescue vehicle that exceeds the current appliance specification.
The E1 EV0 – Electric Vehicle, Zero Emissions… Zero Compromises
Our engineers embraced the remit, and over several years, took the concept from initial design right through to final production. Our EV0 is not a prototype – it is a series-production-ready, operational-service-ready model, easily integrated into existing appliance fleets.
The EV0 (Mk1) features an impressive specification, and operational capability. Some key features include:
- 200-mile driving range on one full charge*
- 350kW peak performance drive system
- 280kWH battery pack (fully configurable)
- Regenerative braking system
- Rapid charge system up to 150kW
- Solar photovoltaic charging of 24Vdc system
- Six-person cab/crew cab – customisable seating and BA configuration c/w ‘Clean Cab’ options
- E1 HEPA air-filtration system in cab – removes 99% of airborne particulates
- Electrically driven 3,000 lpm @ 10bar @ 3m lift fire pump (other pump capacities available) c/w ‘eFlow’ E1 flowmeter installation
- Low-decibel pump operation
- 1,850 litres of firefighting media
- 13.5m TX & 9m DX Ladder installation (others available)
- Modular and customisable stowage solution, in standard six-locker configuration – suitable for current appliance specification inventory
- ‘ePumpControl’ and ‘eCabControl’ E1 designed HMI control scheme
- ‘ePump RC’ remote-control pump operation system
- E1 ‘e1Fleet’ remote-access telematics and diagnostic tool
- Optional E1 ‘smart charge’ range-extension unit(s) available for increased capability
- E1 EV0 Technology available on any preferred chassis cab
- * Actual figures dependent on driving style, pumping duties, ambient temperature and ancillary system use. Figures quoted without the adoption of optional ‘smart charge’ range-extender.
Finally, we recognise that charging infrastructure varies throughout our clients’ estates. That’s why we can also provide full fire-station surveys and charger installations as required – offering a full turnkey solution to those who wish to embrace our low-carbon future.
If you are interested in learning more about our groundbreaking appliance and technology, please get in touch. We look forward to hearing your views on the world’s first all-electric BS EN1846 pumping appliance, the Emergency One EV0 – Electric Firefighting Vehicle, Zero Emissions… Zero Compromises.
For more information, go to www.e1group.co.uk