A safety warning has been issued after a couple were saved from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning by their alarm this morning.
Firefighters from Hightown were called out at 1.53am after the pair brought the smouldering barbecue back into their house in West End after using it.
Now Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are trying to make people understand the hidden dangers surrounding this summer favourite.
Community Safety Group Manager Ty Whitlock said: “People think that a barbecue is safe once the flames are out, but in reality it will still be pumping out carbon monoxide.
“With camping season upon us I would urge people to leave their used barbecues outside their tents. If you don’t the results can prove deadly.
“People just don’t realise they aren’t designed to be brought indoors.
“If the alarm had not gone off the result of this barbecue being left in the conservatory could have been tragic.
“This again highlights the importance of having a working carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm.”
Barbecues can continue spewing poisonous gas for more than 12 hours after they have been put out.
In 2012 a 22-year-old man was found dead in his camper van in the New Forest after bringing his barbecue inside.
Earlier that year a six year old from Gosport died after her parents brought a disposable barbecue into their tent to keep warm while camping in the New Forest.
Group Manager Whitlock added: “To ensure your barbecue is safe this summer, set up your barbecue outdoors on level ground away from fences, tents or anything which could catch fire and never leave unattended and have a bucket of water close by.
“Don’t cook if you’re affected by alcohol and keep children and pets away from the cooking area.
“Make sure the coals are cool before you move the barbecue. Once cool, dispose of the ash onto bare garden soil, but never into a dustbin which could melt or catch fire. If in a designated barbecue area in public or on a camp site please use the barbecue bins provided.”
More safety information can be found on HFRS website.
For more information, go to www.hantsfire.gov.uk
Top Image for illustration purposes only, taken by Namiras1